2016 Six Hour Race to Sunset at Blankets Creek presented by OutSpokin' Bicycles - July 16, 2016
Thursday July 14th
Early Check-in and Registration at OutSpokin' Bicycles on Sixes Road from 4 pm to 7 pm.
Saturday July 16th
7 am – Blankets open for Pit Row setup
7 am to 9:30 am – Racer Check-in (including day-of registration)
9:30 am - Pre-Race Meeting
10 am – Race Start
4 pm – Race End
4:30 pm – Awards Ceremony
Race day registration will be available from 7 am to 9:30 am on Saturday, July 16th
Race Entry Fees
On or Before June 25th, $50
After June 25th, $55
Race Day, $60
2 Person Team
On or Before June 25th, $100 (per team)
After June 25th, $110 (per team)
Race Day, $120 (per team)
3 Person Team
On or Before June 25th, $125 (per team)
After June 25th, $140 (per team)
Race Day, $150 (per team)
A large portion of the proceeds from this event will be donated to SORBA Woodstock for their continued maintenance and upkeep of the Blankets Creek and Rope Mill Trails.
Directions to Blankets Creek Trails
Blankets Creek Mountain Bike Trails
2261 Sixes Road
Canton, GA 30114
From the south, take I-575 north to exit 11, Sixes Road. Turn left onto Sixes Road and go approximately 1.7 miles to Blankets Creek Trails, which will be on the left. The trails are just past the Cherokee Charter Academy School, on the opposite side of the road.
We are offering solo, two, and three person team categories. We are pleased to offer beginner, sport, and expert divisions in both the men's AND women's solo divisions.
Clydesdale (200 lbs+)
Male 50+ (will add 60+ if we get at least 5 riders over 60)
Open Singlespeed (will split into gender divisions if we get more than 5 of each gender)
Open Juniors (18 and under, both genders, will split if we get more than 5 of each gender)
Two Person Team Divisions
Three Person Team Divisions
T-Shirts and Swag
YES, we have some nice swag for you..
16 oz. beverage glass to the first 250 racers who register!
This year's shirt design:
2015 T-Shirt Design - shirt is orange with grey side panels. It will not only make you ride faster, but will keep you visible during hunting season...because we all know that is the best time to ride.
Entries must be received by July 2nd to guarantee a race shirt in your requested size. If you register after the 2nd, sizes are first-come, first-serve as you REGISTER (meaning if a size is available when you register and pay, that is what you will get on race day). If/when we run out of sizes in the event shirts, you may select a Mountain Goat Adventures Logo Tee. Only sizes/styles still available will be shown in the shirt selection menu when you register.
How Does This Event Actually Work?
All solo racers and teams pitting with solo racers are welcome to set up a pit area/tent along the portion of the course that will run through the main parking lot at Blankets Creek. We will utilize the shaded, grassy area between the parking lot and River Church as our team pit area. If all goes according to plan again, we will have an on-the-bike start where riders will complete a half mile parade lap before heading into the trail and starting their first lap. Once you complete your lap, as you come back into the parking lot, you will need to dismount your bike and run with it through the timing and teammate exchange area. If you are on a team, this is where you will hand off your team baton and the next rider will run his bike out of the exchange area and then remount and take off on their lap. Solos just keep running through the exchange area (don't worry, it won't be very far) and then remount after exiting. After going through the exchange area, teams and solos are welcome to stop at their pit area along the course to refuel, switch bikes, fix bikes, sit and rest, etc., before heading out for their lap. Most riders on teams won't need to stop (since they will have just started), but solos will likely need to refuel at some point.
If you are on a team, each team member needs to complete at least one lap over the course of the race. You can do back to back laps or your can switch each lap...doesn't matter. You will still dismount at the exchange area and you will still ride the same distance through the parking lot as everyone else. There is really no advantage to doing back to back laps if you are on a team, so best use that as a last resort if your teammate isn't ready in the exchange area when you come through : )
This year we are instituting a firm 4 pm cutoff, meaning that if you don't return by 4 pm, your last lap does not count. This will allow the racer to make the call as to whether to try to squeeze in another lap or just pack it in for the day. This is to ensure that most riders are done by 4:30 so we can have the awards ceremony in a timely manner.
Solos only need to complete one lap to be considered an official finisher, however the winner will be determined by who has the most number of laps in the least amount of time.
Mountain Goat Adventures utilizes Chip Timing using MyLaps Bibtag Technology and our Real Time Results System. Lap times will be visible in real-time from our results kiosk as well as via your wireless device. Instant gratification!
Please note this is probably not a comprehensive list..but it may answer some of your questions.
- All participants will be required to wear a bicycle helmet at all times while riding. Penalty is DQ.
- Outside (non racer) assistance is only permitted in the pit area. Non racers may not assist out on the course. Racers may assist other racers and are encouraged to do so.
- All food and drink for the race must be either carried with the racer or staged in the pit area. There will be no water stops on the course
- You must run or walk your bike into and out of the exchange/timing area each lap, regardless of whether you are a team or solo racer.
- Teams must swap wristbands in the exchange area to their teammate each lap. A 5 minute penalty will be assessed each time a team does not complete the swap
- Due to the number of racers on the trail, headphones/ipods are strongly discouraged.
- Race numbers must be visible at all times and must be mounted to the handlebars on the front of the bike.
- Cutting the course is not permitted. Penalty is DQ and public ridicule.
- In the event of an unfixable mechanical, the racer must complete the lap along the entire course with his/her bike to receive credit for the lap. You MAY back track or shortcut back to the pit to fix your bike, but you will not receive credit for that lap. Do not enter the timing/exchange area if you are coming back from an incomplete lap. Please be honest.
- Please exercise caution and good sportsmanship when passing other racers on the trail. Announce your intention to pass rather than just forcing your way by with no warning. Most riders will gladly let you pass.
- Solos need to complete one lap to be considered official finishers. Teams need each person to complete at least one lap to be considered official finishers
- Once you reach your pit, you may change any equipment you want, including bikes, and you may stay there as long as you'd like.
- If you head out for a lap after 7:30 pm, you are REQUIRED to have a white light of some sort on your handlebar or helmet. You can use an actual night-riding light or just a simple headlamp - your choice - but you have to have it. If you go out before 7:30 and are not a speed racer, it is also strongly advised that you take a light, just in case. Changing a flat in the dark is tough and it gets dark in the woods long before it will be dark in the parking lot.
Parking will be in the Blankets Creek Parking Lot and River Church, which is just west of Blankets Creek on Sixes Road. Parking is first come, first served unless we tell you otherwise between now and then.
Medals and prizes will be awarded to the top three in each category with prizing deeper for large categories. 100% cash payback to the Top 5 Solo Expert/Open Male and Top 3 Solo Expert/Open Female racers.
We are also excited to announce that we have created custom podium t-shirts that all of our first place winners will receive (solo and teams). You'll want one, so start training now!
You must be present at the awards ceremony to receive your award. Awards and prizes will not be mailed. If you win something and bail on the awards ceremony, your prize will be added to the raffle goodies pile or given to a race volunteer.
The race will run rain or shine, however, the Race Director reserves the right to cancel or modify segments of the event as deemed necessary for preservation of the trail and/or participant safety. No refunds will be given in the event of an act of God that requires cancellation of the race for the saftey of participants. Once the race has started, no refunds will be given due to delayed start or early conclusion of the race. If we have to end the race early, chances are, you will be glad we are doing so.
If you have a race question that was not answered above or would like to inquire about sponsorship opportunities, please email the race director at firstname.lastname@example.org